Alvin Knoll, President
To sing and perform beloved German songs in four-part harmony.
The Volksliederchor was born in 1955 and the first rehearsal was held in the basement of St. Mary’s Catholic Church on Winnipeg Street. The choir has greatly benefited from the talented leadership of many outstanding music directors: Otto Beigler, Werner Gebhardt, Johanna Janisch, Dr. Norbert Hoffman, Dr. Hallgrimur Helgason, Ralph Wetzstein, Gordon Glaicar and James Hoffmann. The choir had 45 members in 2005, pleasingly arranged as sopranos, altos, tenors and basses. The choir hosted the first ever Regina Sängerfest in 1978. In 1981 it traveled to Bismark, North Dakota and gave a concert in honour of the city’s 100th Anniversary. The choir hosted Sängerfest again in 1990 and for the third time in 2005 to coincide with the Saskatchewan Centennial.
When not hosting Sängerfest, the choir always participates in the event whenever it is held in Western Canada. Numerous concerts are presented each year at different venues: in churches, at seasonal festivities in the Harmonie Club, at senior homes, at the SGC Treffpunkt celebrations, at Mosaic and in various towns and cities throughout Saskatchewan. The choir practices weekly at the club. Lots of fundraisers are held to support the singing. Two music tapes were made in 1993, and in 2005, a CD was made to celebrate 50 years of German song in the Queen City.